- Body Length: 20" / Body Width: 16" / Body Depth: 4 5/8"
- Taylor's signature shape embodies the ultimate all-purpose acoustic.
- An original Bob Taylor design introduced in 1994
- Full in the lower register, present in the midrange, and sparkling on the treble strings
- The most popular shape and a good place to begin your search
The mid-size Grand Auditorium arrived in 1994 bearing refined proportions that fell between a Dreadnought and Grand Concert. While the bigger Dreadnought was traditionally considered a flatpicker’s guitar and the smaller Grand Concert catered to fingerstylists, the GA was designed to deliver on both fronts. The shape produced an original acoustic voice that was big enough to handle medium-strength picking and strumming, yet with impressive balance across the tonal spectrum, especially in the midrange, producing clear, well-defined notes that suited both strumming and fingerstyle playing. The GA’s overall presence tracks well with other instruments both in a studio mix and on stage, and singer-songwriters have embraced its utility both for composing and traveling with one guitar. Many people want a single guitar that can cover a variety of styles, which is why the GA continues to be our bestselling shape. If you want a great all-purpose guitar, the multi-dimensional GA won’t let you down.Hawaiian Koa
A tropical hardwood, koa's tone blends the midrange of mahogany with the top end of maple. Due to its density, a new koa guitar tends to start out sounding a little bright and tight, somewhat like maple. But the more a koa guitar is played, the more the sound opens up, expanding the midrange and rewarding the player with a richer, sweeter, more resonant tone. A common mistake is when a bright player buys a koa guitar in part for its visual beauty, finds it to be too bright, and doesn't play it enough to allow the wood to warm up.
Goes Well With: Fingerstylists who play more with the pads of their fingers and tend to have a meatier touch. Bright players need to be careful because of koa's existing brightness (one might try experimenting with different pick materials).Expression System 2
The Taylor Expression System 2 (ES2) is a revolutionary pickup design that delivers the latest in Taylor’s ongoing innovation in acoustic guitar amplification. The heart of the Expression System 2 is Taylor’s patented behind-the-saddle pickup, which features three uniquely positioned and individually calibrated pickup sensors. The location of the sensors enables a more dynamic range of acoustic sound to be captured than ever before. Together with Taylor’s custom-designed “professional audio”-grade preamp, this system produces exceptional amplified tone and responsiveness. On stage through a PA, plugged into your favorite acoustic amplifier, or direct into recording software, the Expression System 2 faithfully conveys the voice of your Taylor guitar.V-Class Bracing
V-Class bracing is a revolutionary new pattern — a new sonic engine — that marks a major shift away from traditional steel-string bracing patterns. By allowing the soundboard to flex naturally while maintaining rigidity along the center (in the direction of the strings), V-Class helps enhance the volume and sustain. It also creates a more orderly response from the soundboard. Up and down the fretboard, notes are full, true and consistent, with more harmonic agreement. It represents an entirely new design platform that can be adapted to different body styles in different ways to infuse each with a unique sonic personality.Highlights
- Scale Length: 25-1/2"
- Tuners: Taylor Polished Bronze
- Strings: Phosphor Bronze Light
- Body Width: 16"
- Nut & Saddle: Tusq Nut, Micarta Saddle
- Number of Frets: 20
- Case: Taylor Deluxe Hardshell Brown
- Body Length: 20"
- Body Depth: 4 5/8"
- Bracing: V-Class Bracing
- Solid Hawaiian Koa Top
- Solid Hawaiian Koa Back and Sides
- Binding Edge Treatment: Indian Rosewood
- Back Config: 2-piece or 4-piece Simons Wedge
- Rosette Size: Single Ring
- Back/Side Finish: Matte
- Top Finish: Matte
- Tropical Mahogany Neck
- Neck Width: 1-3/4"
- Fretboard Binding/Edge Treatment: West African Crelicam Ebony
- Type of Neck Joint: Scarf
- Fretboard Wood: West African Crelicam Ebony
- 20 Frets
- Fretboard inlays: Fountain, Shell, Mother Of Pearl
- Heel Length: 3-1/2"
- Neck/Heel: Tropical Mahogany
- Neck Finish: Matte
- Peghead finish: Matte
- Headstock Overlay: Ebony
- Peghead Logo: Shell/Mother of Pearl
- Peghead Inlay: Fountain, Shell, Mother Of Pearl